Professional Practices and Responsibilities Theory Course
The Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR) certificate is a compulsory online course for new and revalidating RYA Commercial Endorsement holders. This course teaches the rules and regulations that professional seafarers are expected to understand and comply with. It comprises four training modules and a final assessment. Deep Blue Sea Training will provide remote access to an instructor who will be on hand to help if you have any queries during the online course.
This course can be completed anytime prior to Commercial Endorsement application or renewal and will be valid either for the first Commercial Endorsement application or next renewal.
- Age: 17 years for commercial endorsement
- No pre-course experience or assumed knowledge required
- Duration: Approximately 6 to 8 hours to work through the four course modules
- The course assessment is split into two sections of 2 ½ hours in total
- Start/finish time: not applicable
- Location: home study
Course syllabus (four modules)
- Commercial environment - how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures.
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
- PPR Certificate is awarded on successful completion of the final graded online assessment
- Updating your PPR certificate
- Once you have taken your first PPR course, at subsequent renewals of your commercial endorsement you will need to take a reduced version of the course and a short test to make sure you are still up to speed with the subject.
- Note 1: If you are over 65 and subject to more regular medical fitness examinations, you do not need to take the PPR course each time you renew your medical. You will simply need to take it when your commercial endorsement is due for renewal (normally every five years).
- Note 2: Exemptions from this course If you hold an MCA Deck Officer's Certificate of Competence as Officer of the Watch, Master 200, Master 500 or above you do not need to take the PPR course. Please send a copy of your MCA certificate with your application or renewal form for your commercial endorsement.