The Day Skipper qualification confirms that the successful candidate has the knowledge needed to skipper a yacht on shorter, coastal cruises during daylight. The Royal Yacht Association administers the qualification. It is a part of a series of qualifications that include Competent Crew, Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster. While the qualification is primarily for the United Kingdom it is widely recognised internationally.
- From 16 years
- 2 days practical experience on a motor cruiser
- Basic navigation and helmsmanship
- It is recommended that you attend the Day Skipper Shorebased Course before taking this practical course
- RYA Day Skipper Handbook - Motor
Bring with you on the day
- Waterproof clothing
- Duration: 5 days (standard) or 9 days (extra)
- Start and finish time: 09.30 to variable
- Location: Puerto Portals, Spain
- Preparation for sea
- Boat handling
- Passage making
- Rules of the road
- Emergency situations
- Night cruising
Cost: €1295 - €1449 (5 days) to €1695 (9 days)
- Includes complimentary soft drinks and lunch everyday
- Booking Deposit: €100. Balance is due 21 days prior to start of the course.
- The Day Skipper Motor Practical Certificate is awarded on successful completion
- Along with this course you might also include the one-day VHF/DSC Marine Radio course
- Note that sail training courses taken in the Mediterranean are classified as non-tidal.